Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Can Find Happiness Through the Storm





I was thinking today about our life on earth and all the things that happen to us while we are here. I know that life is hard and that we all face challenges each day. I was reading something in the April 2011 Conference talks in the Ensign about a little boy.

"Recently a nine-year-old boy was diagnosed with a rare bone cancer. The doctor explained the diagnosis and the treatment, which included months of chemotherapy and major surgery. He said it would be a very difficult time for the boy and his family but then added, “People ask me, ‘Will I be the same after this is over?’ I tell them, ‘No, you won’t be the same. You will be so much stronger. You will be awesome!’”

I thought, "Wow! What a statement!" 'You will be awesome!' Isn't that what this life is really about. Trial and error, happiness and sadness. I understand why we go through trials. I find the greatest joy after the storm has passed that I look back and see that everything I have experienced, has made me a better person. Heavenly Father knows what we can handle and He promises that He will carry us through and comfort us. It is then that I realize I was never alone, He was there. We can also find joy in our trails. As impossible as it sounds we can find joy through the pain. We can rely on the Savior Jesus Christ and ask him to help lighten our load.

Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Elder Orson F. Whitney said: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. … All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable. … It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.”

We cannot do it alone. I know that I have tried and I have not had the comfort or understanding that I have had when I surrender and let the Lord help me. He will help you, He is waiting to help you. You are never alone. I know that my Redeemer lives!


No comments:

Post a Comment